Vermicelli with Stir-Fried Squid and Tomatoes
– 3.5 oz dried mung bean vermicelli
– 12 oz squid tubes, cut into rings
– 2 tbs fish sauce
– 2 tbs oil
– 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 3 lemongrass stems, white part only, thinly sliced
– 2 tsp suar
– 1 red onion, thinly sliced
– 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
– 2 tbs lime juice and 2 tbs snipped garlic chives
– Place squid in a bowl with 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon oil, half the garlic, half the lemongrass, sugar and 1/4 each teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix well and marinate for 15 minutes.
– Heat a wok until extremely hot and add squid in two batches. Stir-fry until color has just changed. Remove from wok and set aside.
– Reheat wok until hot and add remaining oil, garlic, lemongrass and onion. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add tomato and toss well.
– Add vermicelli and return squid to wok with all juices. Toss well and add lime juice, chives, and fish sauce. Serve immediately.